7. Meet Dr. Tola T’Sarumi, a Psychiatrist and Fellow at Harvard, whose life experiences propelled to become a Doctor.
In this Episode, Dr. Tola discusses the following;
– How and when she knew she wanted to become a doctor
– How her personal experiences and challenges contributed to her decision to choose psychiatry
– How the stigma associated with mental health is a barrier to seeking and receiving adequate treatment.
– How the African community try to address mental health issues with spirituality instead of seeking professional help
– How the collaboration of religious leaders and mental health professionals can lead to increased knowledge about mental health for people to be able to get the treatment they need.
– How to take care of yourself and your mental health in the midst of COVID-19 crisis
– How to know when you’re misusing alcohol and having substance abuse issues
– The importance of seeking help such as therapy or counseling, seeing a psychiatrist.
– Trends of mental health issues noticed as we deal with COVID-19
– Advice for an aspiring future doctor on what to do
o Get a mentor
o Don’t give up easily
o Take your MCAT
– Advice for current medical school student who is considering psychiatry
o Know who you are (Handson or loves to communicate well and are you patient enough to work with people with mental health problems?)
o Rotations will help you figure out what you love
o a mentor while doing your rotations
o Doing your internships/Externships.
o Don’t give up!!
Offer for the first seven individuals to get free 15minute consultation
Email Address: email@example.com